Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Bet You Didn't Know...

1) In Hungary the crosswalks are called "zebras".
2) We use a match every time we light the stove.
3) The mailmen make their deliveries on bicycles.
4) The first day of the week on the Hungarian calendar is Monday.
5) Eggs come in cartons of ten.
6) Street sweepers are literally men and women with brooms.
7) The ice cream truck, with its monotonous digital tune, makes the rounds all year long.
8) Family name and given name are switched here, even in introducing people.
9) Üzletszabályzatokban and számlatulajdonosnak are words on our bank statement.
10)We still don't understand our bank statements.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this list. It should become a regular feature of your blog.

Julie said...

I agree with Janna. It's a very interesting glimpse of Hungary that we wouldn't see otherwise.

Unknown said...

I don't understand my bank statements either. Maybe mine are in Hungarian too?
Hey guys! Hope all is well.

the housewards said...

i agree with my sisters. and i DID know 2, 4, and 8. very interesting.